Friday, April 24, 2009

Interview with an Artist: Dawn Rozakis


"Inertia"

"Twister"

Me: What do you design and how would you describe your design aesthetic?
Dawn: I design Steampunk jewelry and accessories that infuse my favorite elements of Victorian and Gothic Lolita styles within them.

Me: What inspires you?
Dawn: Japanese youth culture, especially the harajuku and gothic lolita fashion movements that have made their way to the US. Steampunk has also been incredibly inspirational, both aesthetically and in its strong spirit of creation - the "do-it-yourself" mentality.


Me: When did you start doing what you’re doing?
Dawn: I've been making jewelry for about 6 years now.


Me: What are you working on now?
Dawn: I am working on a new jewelry line, called GhostLove. My web site, http://www.ghostlove.com, will be launching June 15th. This line will include 8 unique collections - everything from gothic lolita, Victorian, and steampunk to dark macabre and kawaii.

Me: How do customers react to your product?
Dawn: I get amazing feedback - all positive. People always tell me how unique my designs are.

Me: Is there anything else you would like to share with us?
Dawn: YES. Lately, there has been a lot of nasty drama within the steampunk community, particularly on etsy. Certain artists have an unfounded heir of entitlement because they have been making steampunk jewelry longer and deliberately try to alienate the rest of us. I feel very strongly that etsy is and should always remain a community and we should support one another, not behave like wolves fighting over a meal.

Me. What is your favorite item you offer for sale now?
Dawn: Right now, I think my favorite item is called "The House of Victoria". It's a gorgeous gothic lolita inspired ribbon brooch with a vintage Elgin pocket watch movement in the center.



"The House of Victoria"

For more items please visit: The Steampunk Sweet Shoppe

1 comment:

  1. Dawn is a fantastic artist with wonderful insite and an asset to the steampunk community. I also must agree with her about the wolf pack mentality, there is mo top dog as some believe.

    ReplyDelete